The purpose of the Zoning Compliance Permit is to authorize a specific principal use of property where a construction permit is not required. Examples of such uses include: automobile parking lots, demolition debris landfills, cemeteries and athletic fields. Also permitted through this process are storage and other residential accessory buildings with dimensions (length, width and height) of 12 feet or less. And, the review of State licensed uses, such as those requiring ABC approval, utilize this process.
Expected Processing Time
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Issuance of a Zoning Compliance Permit by the Development Services Center
- The permit lists all required inspections
- Completed Zoning Compliance Permit Application submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA).
- Application fee
- If the use involves land development, a site plan is required.
- The proposed use must comply with the Development Ordinance regulations.
- Payment of required permit fee.
- Applicant is authorized to obtain the permit.
- Upon meeting all permit requirements, the applicant is entitled to a Zoning Compliance Permit.
- Projects are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing the project through the permit review process.
Expected Processing Time
- Within 2 business days of receipt of an application the Planning & Development Department will determine whether an application is complete or incomplete.
- If the application is incomplete, then the applicant will be notified within those 2 business days with a written list of application deficiencies.
- If the application is complete, then it shall be considered submitted.
- Approximately 5 business days from submittal of a complete application the Planning & Development Department will approve, approve subject to conditions, or disapprove the application in accordance with review standards of the Development Ordinance.
- The application will be approved upon the determination that it meets all applicable review standards of the Development Ordinance.
- If the permit application is approved subject to conditions, the applicant may submit a revised application to show conformance with the conditions of approval or address the comments.
- If the application does not meet the review standards of the Development Ordinance, it will be denied with comments and the applicant may appeal or revise the application addressing the comments.
- Any revised application will be reviewed and decided within 5 business days of submittal.
- If the applicant appeals a denial, it will be considered in accordance with the appeal provisions of the Development Ordinance.
- All permit fees are due prior to permit issuance
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check