Commercial Construction

The Commercial Construction process is for new construction, additions, alterations and repairs to commercial structures in accordance with the NC Building Code. A complete construction plan review is required prior to permit issuance. When multiple contractors are involved in a single project, one permit can be issued.

Some commercial construction projects involving electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or fire suppression equipment may utilize the Commercial Over-the-Counter process.


Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Issuance of a Commercial Construction Permit by the Development Services Center
  • The permit lists all required inspections

Submittal Requirements

Required for Submittal

  1. Completed Commercial Construction Permit Application (PDF), including all contractors conducting the work, submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA)
  2. Application fee
  3. One set of construction plans providing the required information as listed on Commercial Construction Plan Standards (PDF)

Required for Some Projects

  1. If building improvements are made to the site (e.g. new construction, addition, etc.), an approved land development plan.
  2. All improvements that will have heated space must provide either (1) a COMcheck Energy Worksheet or (2) Documentation within the plans that the buildings will adhere to the Prescriptive Building Envelope Requirements (PDF).
  3. If the property owner desires to act as general contractor and the proposed project cost has a value of $30,000 or more, then the owner must sign and submit a notarized Work By Owner Affidavit (PDF).
  4. If the construction project requires special inspections, then a Special Insection and Testing Agreement (PDF) must be submitted.

Permit Requirements

  1. The construction plans must comply with the current version of the NC Building Code, Existing Building Code or Rehab Code as requested.
  2. If a land development plan is required, it must be approved.
  3. If the project has a value of $30,000 or more, a Lien Agent is required.
  4. If the project has a value of $30,000 or more, a Workers’ Compensation Coverage (PDF) form must be completed or a copy of the Insurance Certificate provided.
  5. If land disturbance:
    • Exceeds 1 acre
    • Is on highly erodible soils (i.e. Swansgate or Cambridge Oaks subdivisions)
    • Drains to a water quality pond (e.g. wet pond in a subdivision) or retention structure (e.g. Davis Lake Regional Pond)
    • Is within Tiers 1 or 2 of a Watershed Critical Area
    • A instance where extensive erosion control measures are required, then a land disturbance permit must be issued prior to a construction permit.
  6. Prior to any development activities within a Special Flood Hazard Area, a Floodplain Development Permit must be issued.
  7. Payment of required permit fees.
  8. Applicant is authorized to obtain the permit.
  9. Upon meeting all permit requirements, the applicant is entitled to a Commercial Construction Permit.

Additional Information

  • Projects are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing the project through the plan review process.
  •  Permit Update


  • All permit fees are due prior to permit issuance
  • See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
  • Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
  • Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check