Zoning Map Amendment
A zoning map amendment (ZMA) changes the zoning district designation on a property or group of properties consistent with the guidance found in the Land Use Plan and applicable area plans. This change is shown on the City’s Official Zoning Map. Zoning map amendments can take the form of a general zoning change (such as a change from General Business to Light Industrial), or a conditional zoning change where requirements that are more restrictive than the Development Ordinance standards are applied to the property through written conditions that are agreed to by the applicant.
- A Pre-Application Conference is required within 3 months prior to making application for a zoning map amendment.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Approval of a zoning map amendment is by ordinance adopted by the City Council
- The applicant submits an application, supplemental documents and fee
- Applications are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing it through the process.
- The applicant must hold a Citizen Information Meeting before the initial consideration of the application by the Planning and Zoning Commission, and provide a written summary of the meeting which is added to the application.
- Staff reviews the application and notifies the applicant of any deficiencies. Once deemed complete, a zoning map amendment application is placed in review and scheduled for the next regular meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission, if filed by the application deadline.
- Public notice of the application is provided by first class mailed notice, published notice and posted signs prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing and the City Council public hearing.
- A staff report is prepared and provided to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- At the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing, the Commission will hear from staff, the applicant and other members of the public who want to speak on the matter.
- After the public hearing, the Planning and Zoning Commission will make a recommendation to the City Council to approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application.
- Following the City Council public hearing, the Council will approve, approve as amended, or deny the zoning map amendment. The applicant will receive written notice of the decision.
- Completed Zoning Map Amendment Application (PDF) submitted to the Planning and Development Department or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA)
- Application fee
- Completed work sheet with a draft of conditions offered by the applicant, if a conditional zoning district is being requested
- Conceptual site plan showing proposed development (This is not required for a general zoning district request)
- Copy of the latest deed of record for all property
- If submitting on ACA, attach a completed Board Action Application Signature Form (PDF).
- The request must be consistent with the Land Use Map designation and any relevant policies, goals or objectives in the Land Use Plan and applicable area plans. If not, a Plan Amendment application may also be required.
- Application may need to include a Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) when required by City policy.
- If the location of the zoning map amendment is within a Local Historic Overlay District, the application must be reviewed by the HPC prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission hearing.
Expected Processing Time
- Within 2 business days of receipt of an application the Planning & Development Department will determine whether an application is complete or incomplete.
- If the application is incomplete, then the applicant will be notified within those 2 business days with a written list of application deficiencies.
- If the application is complete, then it shall be considered submitted.
- Approximately 50 business days from the monthly submittal deadline to the City Council public hearing and potential decision.
- Processing time can increase due to extra time needed to resolve issues of concern raised by the public, staff, Planning and Zoning Commission or the City Council.
- Application fee is due at time of submittal
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check