Permit Types

The intended design of the City’s permitting system is to allow most projects to be approved under one permit. For that to occur, all contractors must be added to the permit application under a general contractor or lead contractor dependent upon the type of work. Below are the 11 different permit types offered:
  • The Residential Construction Permit is designed to permit new construction, additions, alterations and repairs to one- and two-family dwellings that do not qualify for a Residential Over-the-Counter Permit.
  • Residential Over-the-Counter Permit is primarily designed for work to an existing one- or two-family dwelling where plans are not required for a permit. Generally, projects involving electrical, mechanical or plumbing work and some limited building construction can utilize this permitting process.
  • The Commercial Construction Permit is designed to permit new construction, additions, alterations and repairs to all structures (other than one- and two-family dwellings) that do not qualify for a Commercial Over-the-Counter Permit. Construction plans are required at submittal.
  • Commercial Over-the-Counter Permit is designed for minor work associated with an existing commercial building where plans are not required for a permit. Generally, projects involve replacement and minor work to electrical and mechanical equipment, replacement of fixtures, water and sewer lines, limited relocation of fire detection devices and sprinkler heads, and some limited building construction.
  • Demolished Structure Permit applies when a structure is completely demolished. This process is used for either residential or commercial structures.
  • A Moved Structure Permit applies whenever a structure is relocated to another site and is used for either residential or commercial structures.
  • Sign Permit is issued for freestanding signs, wall signs and other types of signs that require permits, including banners. Any required structural or electrical work to erect a sign can be included on this permit.
  • A Fence Permit is needed before any fence or wall for a residential or nonresidential use is constructed. Any masonry wall exceeding 4 feet in height must use the Residential or Commercial Construction Permit process.
  • A Home Occupation Permit is needed to operate a business or occupation in your place of residence.
  • The Temporary Use Permit process is used to permit a variety of uses that operate for a limited time. Allowable temporary uses include itinerant merchants, certain mobile food vendors, outdoor seasonal sales for seasonal agricultural projects, special events, construction-related uses, dwellings, land clearing and inert debris landfills, real estate offices and wireless telecommunications facilities.
  •  The Zoning Compliance Permit process authorizes the use of property where a construction permit is not otherwise required and ensures that land uses meet all Development Ordinance requirements. Examples include parking lots, cemeteries, athletic fields and the review of State-licensed uses, such as for ABC and DMV approval.

Permit Update

The Permit Update process allows for changes to permitted projects. Those changes include, but are not limited to, trade contractor changes, scope of work changes, and plan revisions. Changes to the construction location or permit holder cannot be made to an issued permit.

More Information

If you have any questions regarding your project, permits or the process, contact a construction plan reviewer at 336-883-3151.