A Zoning Fence Permit is needed to install a fence on residential or nonresidential property. Fences that are made of wood, metal or masonry products follow this process for approval unless the masonry construction creates a wall higher than four feet. To construct a wall greater than four feet in height, a construction permit is required.


Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Issuance of a Zoning Fence Permit by the Development Services Center
  • The permit lists all required inspections

Submittal Requirements

  1. Completed Zoning Fence Permit Application (PDF) submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA).
  2. Application fee
  3. A plot plan illustrating the fence location on the lot relative to buildings, property lines, easements and street right-of-way

Permit Requirements

  1. The proposed fence must comply with the Development Ordinance fence regulations, which include height standards and not being located:
    • In any street right-of-way
    • In any flood hazard area without flood damage prevention approval
    • In any easement or protected drainage area (PDA), unless approved by the easement holder
  2. Payment of required permit fee.
  3. Applicant is authorized to obtain the permit.
  4. Upon meeting all permit requirements, the applicant is entitled to a Zoning Fence Permit.

Additional Information

  • Projects are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing the project through the permit review process.


  • All permit fees are due prior to permit issuance
  • See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
  • Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
  • Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check