Residential Construction

The Residential Construction process is for new construction, additions, alterations and repairs to one- and two-family dwellings in accordance with the North Carolina Residential Code. When multiple contractors are involved in a single project, one permit can be issued.

A complete structural review of construction is required prior to permit issuance, except for North Carolina Licensed General Contractors. Licensed General Contractors are exempted from the structural review requirement but must still provide complete and accurate structural plans at the time of application submittal.

Residential construction projects involving electrical, mechanical and plumbing work with no structural component should utilize the Residential Over-the-Counter process. In addition, some non-structural building construction is permitted through that process.


Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Issuance of a Residential Construction Permit by the Development Services Center
  • The permit lists all required inspections

Submittal Requirements

Required for Submittal

  1. Completed Residential Construction Permit Application (PDF), including all contractors conducting the work, submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA)
  2. Application fee
  3. One set of structural plans providing the required information as listed on the Residential Construction Plan Standards (PDF) (unless the project is a deck, ramp, screened porch, pool, or accessory building which follow different plan standards)

Required for Some Projects

  1. If the project is a deck, ramp, screened porch, pool, or accessory building, 1 set of structural plans providing the required information as listed on the Deck and Accessible Ramp Standards (PDF)Swimming Pool, Spa and Hot Tub Standards (PDF), or Accessory Building Standards (PDF) as applicable.
  2. If building improvements are made to the site (e.g. new construction, addition, deck, pool, etc.), a plot plan prepared in accordance with the Residential Plot Plan Standards (PDF).
  3. All improvements that will have heated space must provide either (1) a REScheck Energy Worksheet or (2) Documentation within the plans that the buildings will adhere to the Prescriptive Building Envelope Requirements (PDF).
  4. If a new dwelling is constructed in Zone 3 of the Airport Overlay District, then it shall comply with the Noise Level Reduction Performance Measure (PDF) of the Development Ordinance.
  5. If the property owner desires to act as general contractor and the proposed project cost has a value of $30,000 or more, then the owner must sign and submit a notarized Work By Owner Affidavit (PDF).

Permit Requirements

  1. The structural plans must comply with the current version of the North Carolina Residential Code.
  2. If a plot plan is required, it must meet the applicable requirements of the Development Ordinance.
  3. If the project has a value of $30,000 or more, a Lien Agent is required.
  4. If the project has a value of $30,000 or more, a Workers’ Compensation Coverage (PDF) form must be completed or a copy of the Insurance Certificate provided.
  5. If land disturbance:
    • Exceeds 1 acre
    • Is on highly erodible soils (i.e. Swansgate or Cambridge Oaks subdivisions)
    • Drains to a water quality pond (e.g. wet pond in a subdivision) or retention structure (e.g. Davis Lake Regional Pond
    • Is within Tiers 1 or 2 of a Watershed Critical Area
    • A instance where extensive erosion control measures are required, then a land disturbance permit must be issued prior to a construction permit
  6. Prior to any development activities within a Special Flood Hazard Area, a Floodplain Development Permit must be issued.
  7. Payment of required permit fees
  8. Applicant is authorized to obtain the permit.
  9. Upon meeting all permit requirements, the applicant is entitled to a Residential Construction Permit.

Additional Information


  • All permit fees are due prior to permit issuance
  • See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
  • Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
  • Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check