Right-of-Way Encroachment

This process is used to approve encroachments into a public right-of-way. This includes structures (i.e. buildings, overhangs, fences, etc.) as well as private underground utilities (except irrigation systems).


  • Public right-of-way that is dedicated to or maintained by the City of High Point.

Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Approval of a right-of-way encroachment by City Council or Technical Review Committee (TRC), as applicable.


  1. The applicant submits an application, supplemental documents and fee
  2. Projects are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing the project through the process.
  3. Plans are reviewed by an interdepartmental team with expertise in planning, transportation, utilities, stormwater, land-disturbance and other environmental areas. This review is in accordance with adopted Regulations and Policies.
  4. Comments are returned to the applicant. The applicant addresses any unresolved issues and re-submits for review.
  5. If the proposal is for an underground encroachment, TRC may approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application.
  6. If the proposal is for an above ground encroachment, the proposal is forwarded to the next available City Council meeting.
  7. After consideration of the requests, City Council may approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application.

Submittal Requirements

  1. Completed Right-of-Way Encroachment Application (PDF) submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA).
  2. Request review fees

Additional Information

  • A written legal description of area of encroachment is required after TRC review and prior to approval by TRC or City Council, as applicable.
  • An encroachment agreement is prepared by legal staff for recordation in the applicable County Register of Deeds.


  • Application fee is due at time of submittal
  • See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
  • Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
  • Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check