Decks, Ramps & Screened Porches

Planning to add a deck, accessible ramp or screened porch addition to your home? Then you must obtain the proper permit before starting construction and obtain inspections during construction. Deck, ramp and screened porch requirements are established by the North Carolina Building Code and the City’s Development Ordinance. These requirements are meant to ensure the safety of the work and to protect property values.


Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Issuance of a Residential Construction Permit
  • The permit lists all required inspections

Submittal Requirements

  1. Completed Residential Construction Permit Application (PDF), including all contractors conducting the work, submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA)
  2. Application fee
  3. One set of structural plans providing the required information as listed on the Decks and Accessible Ramp Standards (PDF) for a deck or ramp, or as listed on the Residential Construction Plan Standards (PDF) for a screened porch
  4. A plot plan prepared in accordance with the Residential Plot Plan Standards (PDF) illustrating the addition dimensions and location relative to property lines and the home
  5. If the property owner desires to act as general contractor and the proposed project cost has a value of $30,000 or more, then the owner must sign and submit a notarized Work By Owner Affidavit (PDF).

Permit Requirements

  1. The plot plan must meet the applicable requirements of the Development Ordinance.
  2. The structural plans must comply with the current version of the North Carolina Residential Code.
  3. If the project has a value of $30,000 or more, a Workers’ Compensation Coverage (PDF) form must be completed or a copy of the Insurance Certificate provided.
  4. If land disturbance:
    • Exceeds 1 acre;
    • Is on highly erodible soils (i.e. Swansgate or Cambridge Oaks subdivisions);
    • Drains to a water quality pond (e.g. wet pond in a subdivision) or retention structure (e.g. Davis Lake Regional Pond);
    • Is within Tiers 1 or 2 of a Watershed Critical Area; or
    • A instance where extensive erosion control measures are required;
    • Then a land disturbance permit must be issued prior to a construction permit.
  5. Prior to any development activities within a Special Flood Hazard Area, a Floodplain Development Permit must be issued.
  6. Payment of required permit fees
  7. Applicant is authorized to obtain the permit.
  8. Upon meeting all permit requirements, the applicant is entitled to a Residential Construction Permit.

Additional Information


  • Application fee is due at time of submittal
  • Permit fee is due at permit issuance
  • See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
  • Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
  • Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check